06 July 2009

Newsweek makes a Top 100 List

Back from a long and indulgent weekend. I didn't read too much as my girlfriend got a new gaming system for her birthday. Alas, c'est la wii.

Anyhow, as a dip back into the blogging pool, I thought I'd point out Newsweek's Top 100 book list. It is a compilation of lists, or as they describe it, "It's a list of lists — a meta-list." I haven't read as many in the Top 20 as I should have, but judging from what I know of them (perception of those I haven't, and first-hand knowledge of those I have) it's pretty hard to argue with this. I'm considering tackling this list, rather than the behemoth that is 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. My problem with the latter is that there are just a huge number of books there that don't interest me at all. And while reading 20 or so books that don't immediately interest me to get a well-rounded knowledge based on a reasonable list of books (Newsweek) doesn't bother me, reading a few hundred does.

I'll see if I can't make a nice little usable spreadsheet for the Newsweek list for those that want to download it. There is something about a "mere" 100 books that seems undaunting enough to be accomplished. Though the inclusion of War and Peace and Ulysses in the top 10 is worrisome.

Look for my own top 10 list sometime in the next week. It won't be a "greatest ever," but rather it will be my favorites. I've just gotta give it some thought. And in the meantime, what are your thoughts on the Newsweek list?

No comments:

Post a Comment