01 July 2009

A hearty welcome

Welcome to Metro Marginalia, the attempt of a 20-something grad student in music history to read outside his field. I've recently moved into a new apartment, sans TV, and have reacquainted myself with my love of reading. It's amazing how much more reading I can get done when I'm not watching SportsCenter.

"Blah blah, self important grad student. But what will you be writing about?" you ask. Well, I'm not entirely sure. I assume I'll put some discussion of the books I am currently reading or have recently read. I'll have talk of book news that strikes me as interesting (disclosure: I am not a publishing news junkie, so it'll just be stuff I happen to catch). I'll write about some of my all-time favorites.

And on that note, let me put it out there so you can feel free to argue with me right away. My all-time favorite book is Joseph Heller's Catch-22. I can't remember ever laughing so hard at a book that moved me so much. It was shocking at the time, and it remains so to this day. Maybe that's one thing I'll do: a re-reading of Catch-22, with commentary!

Alright, I'll wrap it up. Expect a post about The Three Musketeers soon. I just finished it last week, and I freaking loved it. I hope you'll join me in the comments for some good discussion. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment